Camden is an ambitious borough. We want to deliver the best possible outcomes for our residents and this starts with an inclusive and supportive workplace that enables our staff to thrive and succeed.
We recognise the importance of a healthy work life balance and support flexible working where possible.
Working from home is balanced with time in the office to connect with colleagues, collaborate on projects and work with our communities and partners.
We offer 27 days annual leave rising to 31 days after 5 years continuous service. You also have the option to buy additional annual leave, or to bank up to 10 days over 5 years which can be used for an extended holiday.
We are a family friendly organisation and support all types of families at different life stages. Family leave and occupational pay is available from day one including for:
- appointments related to pregnancy and adoption
- paternity leave
- maternity, adoption, or shared parental leave
- pregnancy loss
- premature birth or full term but hospitalised babies
- foster carers, prospective foster carers and ‘Special Guardians’
We offer up to 10 additional days of leave at full pay for staff to attend planned appointments relating to their declared disability
You will be automatically enrolled in the Local Government Pensions Scheme (LGPS) and we will pay a very generous contribution. Staff can pay lower contributions when times are financially tough.
Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) can be made to increase the value of your pension. This has tax and National Insurance relief as the cost is 'shared' through a salary sacrifice agreement.
Health and wellbeing
We are committed to the health and wellbeing of our staff and have a range of mental and physical advice and support services.
- Corporate Gym membership is available which can be paid for with an interest free loan
- Health Plan which you can join at discounted rates to access video GP services, 24/7 access to a counsellor as well as cash back on dental, chiropody and physiotherapy expenses
- One-to-one counselling, support and guidance through our Employee Assistance Programme
- Free eye tests and seasonal flu jabs
- On-site massage clinic and discounts on osteopathy and hypnotherapy
- Healthy living advice and support including stopping smoking, nutrition and healthy eating, back care awareness, breathwork, yoga and mindfulness sessions
- Life stage workshops including perimenopause, menopause and pre-retirement planning
- Wellbeing, mindfulness and resilience training and workshops
- Mental health awareness training
Loans and discounts
A range of loans and discounts are available with most interest free loans repaid over 10 months.
Travel to work
- Season travel ticket loan to buy an annual season ticket
- Cycle to Work and City Bike salary sacrifice schemes which save between 32 to 42% on the hire and purchase of a bike and accessories or the cost of City Bike hire membership
- A childcare deposit loan is available to help with any upfront costs for childcare
- The childcare voucher scheme is available for staff that applied before 2018. This can be used towards childcare for children up to the age of 15, or 16 for children with disabilities.
- Lifestyle Discounts are available through Kaarp and CSSC from savings on everyday shopping to entertainment and family days out.
- Discounts are also available from companies such as Microsoft, EE, Dell and Warren Beds
A tenancy deposit loan of up to £3,000 is available to help with tenancy deposit costs
Low interest loans are available from London Capital Credit Union and Camden Mutual Credit Union and repayments can be deducted via payroll.
You can also save with the credit unions via payroll deduction. This can increase the chances of a loan application being approved by them.
An interest free loan of up to £5,000 can be used towards payment, for you or your dependents, of British Citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain application fees or the payment of the Healthcare surcharge to the UK Visas & Immigration Service. Repayment can be 36 months.
Financial advice and guidance
- Staff can access one free financial advice session with one of our independent financial advisers.
- Financial wellbeing support and guidance is also available through our Employee Assistance Programme.
Staff have access to employee network groups which are a great tool to help create an inclusive work environment. They are voluntary groups of colleagues with similar beliefs, backgrounds or interests. They provide support, advice, or just a sounding board in a safe, confidential environment. Groups include:
- Camden Disability Network
- Rainbow Camden
- People Managers
- Neurodeiversity Network
- Family Hub